Graduate Admissions Requirements
CEE's minimum graduate admission requirements
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or recognized equivalent.
- Sufficient undergraduate education for graduate work in your chosen field.
- A satisfactory scholastic average, with a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) for application consideration.
- Score of the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken during the past five years. CEE does not require a GRE subject test but the General GRE Test is required. Both the "Old" GRE and the "Revised" GRE are accepted.
- International applicants: A minimum score of 68/120 iBT (230 CBT, 570 PBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), taken during the past two years, is required by the University to meet the English Language Proficiency requirement. A score of 90 is considered competitive for CEE.
- The Environmental Engineering Program and the Transportation Engineering program require prerequisite courses and/or additional admission requirements. See Environmental Engineering prerequisites and Transportation Engineering prerequisites.
All applicants must read
- Graduate Division Admissions Requirements
- CEE Program Requirements. Each of the 7 programs in CEE has its own admissions and degree requirements. Read the requirements for your program.
Admissions for non-engineering majors
If you are a graduate in a non-engineering field, you are welcome to apply to CEE for admission into a program of study emphasizing one of many opportunities for combining a field of science which you have studied with a specific discipline in CEE. See Program Requirements to make sure that you have fulfilled the prerequisites required for admission into that program.
- International Applicants in Admission Requirements. Read this site if you received or are a candidate to receive your undergraduate degree from an institution outside the US.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language is required of all applicants (including US citizens) who received their undergraduate degree at a university or college in a country where English is not the official language. However, if at the time of application you have already completed at least 1 year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better at a US university, you do not need to take the TOEFL. Instead, you must submit an official transcript showing at least 2 semesters of COMPLETED coursework from the US university. The following courses will not fulfill this requirement:
- courses in English as a Second Language
- courses conducted in a language other than English
- courses that will be completed after you apply
- courses of a non-academic nature
For graduate admission, UC Berkeley requires a minimum TOEFL score of 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer-based test (CBT), or 968/120 on the internet-based test (iBT). (A score of 90 is considered competitive in CEE.) Your MOST RECENT score must meet this minimum. Applicants whose most recent score fails to meet the minimum will not be admitted because there are no exceptions to this minimum requirement.
See Evidence of English Language Proficiency (Graduate Division) for more information on TOEFL.
- IELTS scores can be input into the online application, but an official paper score report must be sent to the department as well: