The CEE Academy of Distinguished Alumni announces its Class of 2019.
Class of 2019
- Professor Mary Comerio, Professor of Architecture, U.C. Berkeley (Honorary Membership)
- Dr. Rula Deeb, Senior Principal, Geosyntec Consultants, Inc.
- Mr. Ron Klemencic, Chairman & CEO, Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Dr. Faiz Makdisi, Senior Principal Engineer, Sage Engineers, Inc.
- Dr. Benito J. Marinas, Professor and Chair, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Ms. Therese McMillan, Executive Director, Bay Area Metropolitan Transportation Commission/Association of Bay Area Governments
- Dr. Farhang Ostadan, Bechtel Fellow and Chief Engineer, Bechtel Corporation
- Dr. Raymond B. Seed, Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, U.C. Berkeley
- Professor Harmer E. Davis (1905-1998) received his B.S. and M.S. at Berkeley in 1928 and 1930, respectively. He served on the UC Berkeley Civil Engineering faculty for 43 years, establishing the first courses in both transportation and soils. He was the founding director of what is now the Institute of Transportation Studies. He was a member of the N.A.E. and a recipient of the Berkeley Citation.
- Henry J. Ongerth (1913-2011) graduated from Berkeley with a B.S. in Civil Engineering in 1935. He became Chief of the Bureau of Sanitary Engineering at the California State Health Department. He served on several national committees that established drinking water standards for the country. A member of the N.A.E., Mr. Ongerth taught extension courses throughout his career and contributed his time and talents to many CEE activities.
Academy of Distinguished Alumni banquet
On the evening of Oct. 3, 2019, the Academy of Distinguished Alumni will hold its banquet to honor the 2019 class. The banquet will be held at the University Club of the California Memorial Stadium on the Berkeley campus. The event begins with a reception at 5:30 pm followed by a dinner.
Contact Debbe Ali (DAli@geosyntec.com) of Geosyntec Consultants to RSVP for the Academy Banquet.
Ticket payment needs to be in the form of a check made out to UC Regents and sent to Danielle Carco, Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept., 760 Davis Hall, Berkeley, CA 94710.
All tickets are $100 each.
- Faculty RSVP form (Assistant professors' tickets are complimentary)
Sponsorships support undergraduates as well as banquet
You can be a 2019 Academy Sponsor (Blue-$6000; Gold-$3000; Silver-$1500; Bronze-$750).
See 2019 ADA Sponsorship Opportunities [pdf]
Funds from sponsors support the banquet and the ADA Discovery Experience Campaign [pdf]
In CEE we are committed to attaining the goal that every CEE major should have a “Discovery Experience” as part of their undergraduate education. A successful example of such an experience is the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), which was launched and has grown with tremendous support from the ADA over the past 6 years.
Target for 2019-20
This year students have an exciting opportunity to develop both teamwork and leadership skills at the 2020 ASCE Mid-Pacific Regional Conference (MidPac 2020)—to be hosted by Berkeley CEE students!
In April 2020, nearly 800 students from around the Pacific Rim, representing 16-20 schools, and forming more than 150 teams, will arrive in Berkeley for 3 days of competition, collaboration and celebration.
Events will include Steel Bridge, Concrete Canoe, Water Treatment, GeoWall, Transportation Systems, and Sustainable Solutions. MidPac 2020 will be the culmination of a year's worth of students planning, designing, fabricating, trial and error, agony and ecstasy.
This year, the generosity of the ADA will supplement other competition team funding to support Berkeley student leaders as they host this premier event and showcase Berkeley CEE!
If you would like to be a sponsor, contact Mike Kavanaugh of Geosyntec Consultants at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for sponsorship commitments is September 13, 2019.