William W Nazaroff
William W Nazaroff
Daniel Tellep Distinguished Professor
Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
University of California
Berkeley, California 94720-1710
Telephone: (510) 642-1040
- Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (Assistant Professor 1988-1992; Associate Professor 1992-1996; Professor 1996-).
- Visiting Professor, International Centre for Indoor Environment and Energy, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, June-August 2001, September-December 2006.
- Visiting Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Technion — Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel, 1996-1997.
- Faculty Senior Scientist, Environmental Energy Technologies Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Faculty Scientist 1988-2008; Faculty Senior Scientist, 2008-).
- Staff Scientist, Indoor Environment Program, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, 1980-1988.
- Ph.D., 1989, Environmental Engineering Science, California Institute of Technology; Dissertation: Mathematical modeling and control of pollutant dynamics in indoor air.
- M.Eng., 1980, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.
- B.A., 1978, Physics, University of California, Berkeley.
- Indoor air quality, emphasizing the following topics: pollutant-surface interactions; transport/mixing phenomena; aerosols; environmental tobacco smoke; source characterization; control techniques
- Exposure analysis: development and application of methods for assessing exposure to air pollutants
Awards and Distinctions
Doctor Technices, Honoris Causa, Technical University of Denmark (“in recognition of outstanding contributions advancing understanding of the physics and chemistry that control human exposure to pollutants in indoor environments”), 2015.
- Best papers of 2013 (2nd runner up in environmental science), Weschler CJ, Nazaroff WW, Dermal uptake of organic vapors commonly found in indoor air, Environmental Science & Technology 48, 1230-1237, 2014.
- QSI Best Application Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering — CASE 2013 (K Weekly et al., Low-cost coarse airborne particulate matter sensing for indoor occupancy detection), Madison, Wisconsin, 17-21 August 2013.
- Top paper of 2011 (second runner-up among feature articles), McKone TE, Nazaroff WW, et al., Grand challenges for life-cycle assessment of biofuels, Environmental Science & Technology 45, 1751-1756, 2011.
- Elected AAAR Fellow, American Association for Aerosol Research, 2009
- Daniel Tellep Distinguished Professor, University of California, Berkeley, 2009-
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year 2008, FAA Air Transportation Center of Excellence for Research in the Intermodal Transport Environment
- Best paper, American Industrial Hygiene Association Indoor Environmental Quality Committee, 2005 (Nicas M, Nazaroff WW, and Hubbard A, Toward understanding the risk of secondary airborne infection: Emission of respirable pathogens, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 2, 143-154, 2005)
- Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology, 37, 414A, 2003
- Roy W. Carlson Distinguished Professor, University of California, Berkeley, 1998-2001
- Best paper, 20th Annual Conference, Air Infiltration and Ventilation Centre, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9-13 August 1999 (Sippola MR, Nazaroff WW, and Thatcher TL, Particle deposition from turbulent duct flow, in Indoor Air 99 — Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, BRE, Garston, Watford, UK, Vol. 2, pp. 24-29, 1999)
- Elected member, International Academy of Indoor Air Sciences, 1991
- Presidential Young Investigator, National Science Foundation, 1990
- Bachelor’s degree awarded with “great distinction in general scholarship,” 1978
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1978
Services to the Profession (current)
- Member, Committee on Advancing Understanding of the Implications of Environmental-
Chemical Interactions with the Human Microbiomes, National Academies of Science,
Engineering and Medicine, 2016-2018.
- Editor, Indoor Air (Associate Editor, 2007-2009; Editor-in-Chief, 2010-)
- Vice President, Indoor Air Institute, 2005.
- 146. Sippola MR, Nazaroff WW, Anisokinetic shrouded nozzle system for constant low-flow rate aerosol sampling from turbulent duct flow, Aerosol Science and Technology 48, 90-98, 2014.
- 147. Weschler CJ, Nazaroff WW, Dermal uptake of organic vapors commonly found in indoor air, Environmental Science & Technology 48, 1230-1237, 2014.
- 148. Yamamoto N, Nazaroff WW, Peccia J, Assessing the aerodynamic diameters of taxon-specific fungal bioaerosols by quantitative PCR and next-generation DNA sequencing, Journal of Aerosol Science 78, 1-10, 2014.
- 149. Bhangar S, Huffman JA, Nazaroff WW, Size-resolved fluorescent particle concentrations and occupant emissions in a university classroom, Indoor Air 24, 604-617, 2014.
- 150. Yang B, Schiavon S, Sekhar C, Cheong D, Tham KW, Nazaroff WW, Cooling efficiency of a brushless direct current stand fan, Building and Environment 85, 196-204, 2015.
- 151. Gall ET, Nazaroff WW, Potential climate and health benefits from CO2 capture in commercial buildings, Atmospheric Environment 103, 378-380, 2015.
- 152. Rim D, Schiavon S, Nazaroff WW, Energy and cost associated with ventilating office buildings in a tropical climate, PLoS One 10, e0122310, 2015.
- 153. Yamamoto N, Hospodsky D, Dannemiller KC, Nazaroff WW, Peccia J, Indoor emissions as a primary source of airborne allergenic fungal particles in classrooms, Environmental Science & Technology 49, 5098-5106, 2015.
- 154. Adams RI, Bhangar S, Pasut W, Arens EA, Taylor JW, Lindow SE, Nazaroff WW, Bruns TD, Chamber bioaerosol study: Outdoor air and human occupants as sources of indoor airborne microbes, PLoS One 10, e0128022, 2015.
- 155. Gall ET, Chen A, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Exposure to particulate matter and ozone of outdoor origin in Singapore, Building and Environment 93, 3-13, 2015.
- 156. Zhou J, Chen A, Cao Q, Yang B, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Particle exposure during the 2013 haze in Singapore: Importance of the built environment, Building and Environment 93, 14-23, 2015.
- 157. Hospodsky D, Yamamoto N, Nazaroff WW, Miller D, Gorthala S, Peccia J, Characterizing airborne fungal and bacterial concentrations and emission rates in six occupied children's classrooms, Indoor Air 25, 641-652, 2015.
- 158. Tang X, Misztal P, Nazaroff WW, Goldstein AH, Siloxanes dominate VOC emissions from engineering students in a classroom, Environmental Science & Technology Letters 2, 303-307, 2015.
- 159. Rim D, Gall ET, Maddalena R, Nazaroff WW, Ozone reaction with interior building materials: Influence of diurnal ozone variation, temperature and humidity, Atmospheric Environment 125, 15-23, 2016.
- 160. Schiavon S, Rim D, Pasut W, Nazaroff WW, Sensation of draft at uncovered ankles for women exposed to displacement ventilation and underfloor air distribution systems, Building and Environment 96, 228-236, 2016.
- 161. Nazaroff WW, Indoor bioaerosol dynamics, Indoor Air 26, 61-78, 2016.
- 162. Chen A, Cao Q, Zhou J, Yang B, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Indoor and outdoor particles in an air-conditioned building during and after the 2013 haze in Singapore, Building and Environment 99, 73-81, 2016.
- 163. Bhangar S, Adams RI, Pasut W, Huffman JA, Arens EA, Taylor JW, Bruns TD, Nazaroff WW, Chamber bioaerosol study: Human emissions of size-resolved fluorescent biological aerosol particles, Indoor Air 26, 193-206, 2016.
- 164. Gall ET, Cheung T, Luhung I, Schiavon S, Nazaroff WW, Real-time monitoring of personal exposures to carbon dioxide, Building and Environment 104, 59-67, 2016.
- 165. Licina D, Bhangar S, Brooks B, Baker R, Firek B, Tang X, Morowitz MJ, Banfield JF, Nazaroff WW, Concentrations and sources of airborne particles in a neonatal intensive care unit, PLoS One 11, e0154991, 2016.
- 166. Bhangar S, Brooks B, Firek B, Licina D, Tang X, Morowitz MJ, Banfield JF, Nazaroff WW, Pilot study of sources and concentrations of size-resolved airborne particles in a neonatal intensive care unit, Building and Environment 106, 10-19, 2016.
- 167. Wu Y, Chen A, Luhung I, Gall ET, Cao Q, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Bioaerosol deposition on an air-conditioning cooling coil, Atmospheric Environment 144, 257-266, 2016.
- 168. Gall ET, Sonat C, Nazaroff WW, Unluer C, Investigating CO2 removal by Ca- and Mg-based sorbents with application to indoor air treatment, Building and Environment 110, 161-172, 2016.
- 169. Tang X, Misztal PK, Nazaroff WW, Goldstein AH, Volatile organic compound emissions from humans indoors, Environmental Science & Technology 50, 12686-12694, 2016.
- 170. Cheung CT, Schiavon S, Gall ET, Jin M, Nazaroff WW, Longitudinal assessment of thermal and perceived air quality acceptability in relation to temperature, humidity, and CO2 exposure in Singapore, Building and Environment 115, 80-90, 2017.
- 171. Zhou J, Fang W, Cao Q, Yang L, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Influence of moisturizer and relative humidity on human emissions of fluorescent biological aerosol particles, Indoor Air 27, 587-598, 2017.
- 172. Schiavon S, Yang B, Donner Y, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, Thermal comfort, perceived air quality and cognitive performance when personally controlled air movement is used by tropically acclimatized persons, Indoor Air 27, 690-702, 2017.
- 173. Licina D, Tian Y, Nazaroff WW, Emission rates and the personal cloud effect associated with particle release from the perihuman environment, Indoor Air 27, 791-802, 2017.
- 174. Liu S, Schiavon S, Kabanshi A, Nazaroff WW, Predicted percentage dissatisfied with ankle draft, Indoor Air 27, 852-862, 2017.
- 175. Licina D, Tian Y, Nazaroff WW, Inhalation intake fraction of particulate matter from localized indoor emissions, Building and Environment 123, 14-22, 2017.
- 176. Adams RI, Lymperopoulou DS, Misztal PK, De Cassia Pessotti R, Behie SW, Tian Y, Goldstein AH, Lindow SE, Nazaroff WW, Taylor JW, Traxler MF, Bruns TD, Microbes and associated soluble and volatile chemicals on periodically wet household surfaces, Microbiome 5, 128, 2017.
- 177. Weschler CJ, Nazaroff WW, Growth of organic films on indoor surfaces, Indoor Air 27, 1101-1112, 2017.
- 178. Luhung I, Wu Y, Xu S, Yamamoto N, Chang VWC, Nazaroff WW, DNA accumulation on ventilation system filters in university buildings in Singapore, PLoS One 12, e0186295, 2017.
- 179. Vannucci M, Nazaroff WW, Ultrafine particle production from the ozonolysis of personal care products, Environmental Science and Technology 51, 12737-12744, 2017.