I work on scalable data analytics methods for semantically rich modelling of urban dynamics. My research links advanced machine learning, complex networks and spatial interaction models into a general framework to quantify the emergence and evolution of spatio-temporal patterns in everyday dynamics and socio-economic structure of cities.
- 2011-2015 Science Foundation Ireland Research Frontiers Programme, PI. “Learning Spatial Human Dynamics”: to apply machine learning methods to investigate pedestrian flow dynamics and grouping behaviours.
- 2011-2013 PI, Mentor of an IBM PhD Fellowship (Cathal Coffey) investigating the predictability of city transportation systems and individual urban mobility, in collaboration with IBM Smarter Cities Technologies Center.
- 2011 IBM Faculty Research Award, co-PI with PI T.McCarthy, “Data analytics for Smarter Driving”: perform statistical analysis of road accidents data.
- 2011 Irish Centre for High-End Computing, PI. Class C project: Scalable Spatial Analytics.
- 2011-2014 Marie Curie ITN Geocrowd (5 EU partners). Scientist in charge at NUIM. Mentor of an Early Stage Researcher (Felix Kling).
- 2010 Google Research Award, PI. “GMorphs: contextual morphing of GMaps”: to create advanced time-space mapping techniques for navigation and visualization.
- 2010-2013 ERA-NET on Complexity (3 EU partners) “COSMIC: Complexity in Spatial Dynamics”, co-PI at NCG (with Prof.S.Fotheringham, Prof.M.Batty, Prof.P.Nijkamp).
- 2008-2013 Strategic Research Cluster in Advanced Geotechnologies (http://www.stratag.ie) co-PI. Project Leader, Scalable Statistical Learning: to develop spatial predictive algorithms for streaming data based on distributed kernel dictionary framework. Coordinator, City Scale Demonstrator: to coordinate the integration of several StratAG research projects into a common demonstrator system (http://www.cityscale.ie).