The processing time for international visitors is typically 4 months. In addition, depending on which US Embassy a visitor requests their visa from they could experience delays up to several months. Note: most of the month of December is blacked out due to the US holidays.
To request an appointment or extension for a proposed visiting scholar, visiting student researcher, Postdoctoral Scholar Paid-Direct or Postdoctoral Scholar Employee (paid from CEE funds), complete the relevant request form below and submit to Lyniel Takahashi by the stated deadline. Requests must come directly from the faculty sponsor. To determine which title is appropriate for your visitor, see VSPA. Exceptional requests regarding the deadlines should first be forwarded to our CEE Department Chair for consideration.
Upon receipt, CEE will confirm the submission date of the request, verify the visitor's seating assignment and initiate the charge to your chart-string for the department's processing fee, if applicable. Your request will then be forwarded to Shared Services Team 2 for processing. Team 2 personnel will contact you and your visitor directly with any follow-up questions or policy issues.
Deadlines: all visitor appointment and extension requests
Feb. 1: Deadline for all summer session appointments/extensions
May 1: Deadline for all fall semester appointments/extensions
Sept. 15: Deadline for all spring semester appointments/extensions
- Visiting Scholar or Visiting Student Researcher
- Postdoctoral Scholar (Paid-Direct)
- Postdoctoral Scholar (Employee) (paid from CEE Funds)
- Requests for Postdoctoral Scholar Employees paid from ERSO funds should be submitted directly to Shared Services Team 2 using their Request for Postdoc Appointment form
- Wire Transfer Instructions (mandatory fees if paid by visitor)
Department Processing Fee:
- $1,000 for international Visiting Researcher Scholars
- $500 all others (including international Visiting Student Researchers and Postdoctoral Scholars)
DS-2019 Fee for J-1 Visa (effective July 1, 2015):
- $500 for new initial appointments
- $500 for J-1 transfers from other U.S. institutions
- $1,000 for Undergraduate Students (undergraduate students who have 51% or more of their support in personal funds are required to pay a J-1 visa fee of $1,000)
- $250 for appointments needing to be expedited
- $250 for extensions
University Services Fee - (Not applicable to Postdoctoral Scholars). Currently, this fee can be paid upon arrival. Starting July 1, 2018, the fee must be paid prior to application approval.
- Visiting Researcher Scholar: $750 1st year ($1,500 each additional year)
- Visiting Student Researcher: $1,000 1st year ($2,500 each additional year).
Bank Service Fee ($25 for each wire transfer)
IMPORTANT: Fees paid by visitor
To avoid paying multiple bank service fees, include all fees in your initial wire transfer. For convenience, fees paid via check may also include all fees in your initial check.