- How soon may I apply for a change of college?
- When is the application deadline for change of college?
- What requirements must I complete in order to be considered a good candidate for change of college?
- Who reviews the applications for change of college?
- How soon may I apply for change of major?
- What is the application process for switching majors within the College of Engineering?
The earliest you can apply for a change of college is after completion of 2 semesters of coursework at Berkeley (Fall Program for Freshmen does not count as one semester).
Applications may be submitted to Engineering Student Services in 230 Bechtel once each semester during a designated period:
- Fall semester: the first day of instruction through October 1 for admission to that same fall semester
- Spring semester: the first week of instruction through March 1 for admission to that same spring semester
For more information regarding the application procedure e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or speak with a College of Engineering peer adviser in 230 Bechtel.
Applicants for a change of college into a major in the College of Engineering must meet all of the following requirements:
- Minimum technical (math, science, and engineering classes) GPA of 3.0. Note that this is the minimum GPA needed for application; students should anticipate that the GPA required of students selected for admission will be higher. You must meet the GPA requirement on the day you submit your application.
- Completion of 2 semesters of coursework at Berkeley (Fall Program for Freshmen does not count as one semester).
- Satisfactory academic progress towards completion of the CEE requirements. This means completion (at a minimum) the freshman year curriculum for the CEE major (which can be found in the College of Engineering Undergraduate Guide) and have in progress the requisite number of additional courses to be on track for the CEE major
- Ability to complete the degree within 4 years or 8 total semesters
- Apply by no later than your fourth semester of college enrollment
- If applying in the third semester, completed or have in progress the first half of the Reading and Composition requirement (R&C "A"). Your program planning form must indicate that the second half (R&C "B") will be completed no later than the fourth semester.
- If applying in the fourth semester, completion of the first half of the Reading and Composition requirement (R&C "A"). The second half (R&C "B") must be completed or in progress that term.
The College of Engineering Engineering Student Services reviews all Change of College applications.
The soonest a student may apply to switch majors within the College of Engineering is after completion of 1 semester.
Applications for a change of major will be considered only when all of the following requirements have been met:
- At least one semester has been completed at Berkeley
- Student is in good academic standing
- Student has made satisfactory academic progress during his or her semester of enrollment
- The planned program shows a realistic trajectory for completing all degree requirements within the time allotted by the college
- Students who have met the above criteria and have a UC technical GPA of 3.0 or higher are more likely to be approved
- It should be noted that the above criteria are required for consideration, but are not a guarantee of admission
Contact your ESS adviser to discuss your plans and pick up a change of major application. It is best to submit the application no later than the end of sophomore year. The application must be submitted a minimum of 2 semesters prior to the anticipated date of graduation. It must include an academic plan that shows how the requested change will not delay graduation.