The CEE Academy of Distinguished Alumni announces its Class of 2018.
Class of 2018
- Dr. Mohammad Abdulaziz Alshaikh, Retired; former Saudi Arabia Minister of Municipal and Rural Affairs.
- Mr. Harlan L. Kelly, Jr., General Manager, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC).
- Ms. M. Susan Leal, Principal, Urban Water Works and former General Manager (SFPUC) and San Francisco City Treasurer. (Honorary Member)
- Dr. Lelio Mejia, Senior Principal and Vice President, Geosyntec Consultants, Inc.
- Dr. Balakrishnan Narayanan, President and CEO, Carollo Engineers.
- Dr. Michael Ortiz, Frank and Ora Lee Marble Professor of Aeronautics and Mechanical Engineering, California Institute of Technology.
- Dr. Ellen M. Rathje, Warren S. Bellows Centennial Professor, Dept. of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin.
- Mr. Mason T. Walters, Senior Principal, Forell/Elsesser Engineers, Inc.
- Professor Stephen A. Mahin (1946-2018), Byron L. and Elvira E. Nishkian Professor of Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of California for over four decades. Prof. Mahin received all three college degrees in Berkeley CEE and gained recognition for educating a generation of structural earthquake engineers.
- Professor H. Bolton (Harry) Seed (1922-1989), Edward G. and John R. Cahill Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, N.A.E., N. A. S., is regarded as a founder of geotechnical earthquake engineering. Prof. Seed received the National Medal of Science, the nation's highest scientific honor, in 1987, and posthumously received the Berkeley Citation in 1990. (Honorary Member)
Class of 2017
- Dr. Edward Kavazanjian, Jr., Regents Professor and Ira. A. Fulton Chair, School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment, Arizona State University
Academy of Distinguished Alumni banquet
On the evening of Oct. 4, the Academy of Distinguished Alumni will hold its banquet to honor the 2018 class. The banquet will be held at the University Club of the California Memorial Stadium on the Berkeley campus. The event begins with a reception at 5:30pm followed by a dinner.
Contact Debbe Ali (DAli@geosyntec.com) of Geosyntec Consultants to RSVP for the Academy Banquet.
Ticket payment needs to be in the form of a check made out to UC Regents and sent to Danielle Carco, Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept., 760 Davis Hall, Berkeley, CA 94710.
All tickets are $100 each.
Sponsorships support undergraduates as well as banquet
You can be a 2018 Academy Sponsor (Blue-$6000; Gold-$3000; Silver-$1500; Bronze-$750).
Funds from sponsors support the banquet and the CEE Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), a highly selective program that targets the top 20 to 25 high school students admitted to CEE every year and offers each of them a guaranteed faculty-mentored research experience.
If you would like to be a sponsor, contact Mike Kavanaugh of Geosyntec Consultants at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for sponsorship commitments is September 14, 2018.
See 2017 CEE Connections article: Academy inducts Class of 2017 and raises $75K for UROP