Yoram N. Rubin
My recent research interests include hydrogeology, flow and transport processes in geologic media, modeling and analysis of contaminant fate and migration patterns, geostatistics and stochastic methods, geological site characterization, geophysical methods for subsurface characterization, soil-plant-atmospheric interaction. I recenetly started a new project with Dan Ames from Idaho State that is documented at mad.codeplex.com. Read all about it on-line and sign on as an observer.
News and Announcements
The material my group presented at AGU Fall 2015 Meeting, December 2015, San Francisco
1. Presented by Michelle Newcomer: Riverbed Bioclogging and the Effects on Infirltration and Carbon Flux Under Climate Variability
2. Presented by Bradely Harken: Goal-Oriented Hydrogeological Site Characterization: A framework and Case Study in Contaminant Arrival Time
3. Presented by Heather Savoy: A task-oriented perspective on the role of hydrogeological heterogeneity in transport modeling
4. Presented by Jon Sege: Modeling water table drawdown and recovery during tunnel excavation in fractured rock
5. Presented by Karina Cucchi: A Bayesian inversion of hydrogeological and thermal parameters in the hyporheic Zone
- CAL/EPA posts Prof. Rubin's Peer Review of PG&E's 2007 Groundwater Background Study Report, Hinkley Valley (featured in Erin Brokovich).
- Rubin assists Stanford students and investigative reporters identify contamination sources in Palo Alto. See Palo Alto Weekly, p. 19-24.
- Rubin appointed 2011-2012 Sackler Lecturer by the Sackler Institute for Advanced Studies at Tel Aviv University.
- See video of UC-Berkeley's Yoram Rubin and former student, Professor Katherine Grote (University of Wisconsin, Eau-Claire) helping California wine growers map precious water vital to growing the best grapes by using earth-penetrating radar.
- New publications from Rubin's Lab
- de Barros, F.P.J., Y. Rubin, and R. M. Maxwell (2009), The concept of comparative information yield curves and its application to risk-based site characterization, Water Resour. Res., 45, W06401, doi:10.1029/2008WR007324.
- Grote, K., C. Anger, B. Kelly, S. Hubbard, and Y. Rubin (2010), Characterization of Soil Water Content Variability and Soil Texture using GPR Groundwave Techniques, JEEG, Volume 15, Issue 3, pp. 93-110.
- Isosaari, P., S. Hermanowicz, Y. Rubin, (2010) Sustainable Natural Systems for Treatment and Disposal of Food Processing Wastewater, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 40:7, 662-697.
- Murakami, H., X. Chen, M.S. Hahn, Y. Liu, M.L. Rockhold, V.R. Vermeul, J.M. Zachara, and Y. Rubin (2010), Bayesian approach for three-dimensional aquifer characterization at the Hanford 300 Area, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 14, 1989-2001, doi:10.5194/hess-14-1989-2010.
- Rubin, Y., X. Chen, H. Murakami, and M. Hahn (2010), A Bayesian approach for inverse modeling, data assimilation, and conditional simulation of spatial random fields, Water Resour. Res., 46, W10523, doi:10.1029/2009WR008799.
- Rubin's Group Presents Preliminary Results from Its Work on the Hanford Site 300
- True identity of dream team finally revealed
- Rubin's group starts a collaborative effort with PNNL Lab to investigate Uranium transport in the subsurface
- A Final Report on the Salinity in the Central Valley was published by a group headed by Prof. Rubin
- A team of researchers embarks on a project to develop Environmental Information Management System (EIMS)
- USDA documents Rubin's group work in the vineyards, to be presented at the Smithsonian, 2007
- Yoram Rubin to present environmental impact analysis of salinity from the food processing industry at the Central Valley, California, at the ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meetings, New Orleans, November 4-8, 2007
- Yoram Rubin Nominated 2007 Fellow of the American Geophysical Union
- Xingyuan Chen, Rubin's PHD student, receives 2006 Horton (Hydrology) Research Grant (EOS, 88(11), 13 March, 2007)
- Rubin's Group research on Ground Penetrating Radar to Guide Precision Agriculture Highlighted by USDA
- Rubin's Group starts data acquisition at the Tonzi AmeriFlux site
- Hubbard, Rubin and Freese present initial field study results in Terroir 2006
- Rubin's group publish preliminary results from their work on Natural Gas Exploration
- EOS article about Yoram Rubin receiving the AGU Hydrology Section Award
- 2005 AGU Hydrology Section Award Citation (by Andrea Rinaldo) and Response (By Yoram Rubin), December 2004 (photos: one two three)
- Yoram Rubin's Invited Lecture in the Geological Society of America's Annual Conference, Denver, November 2004 (PPT/PDF)
- RPSEA awards a major research grant to Rubin's research group
- A sample of our work to be presented at the AGU-EGS conference, April, 2003, Nice, France
- Dagan opines on Stochastic Modeling (EOS, 83(53), 31 December, 2002)
- Hubbard and Rubin opine on Hydrogeophysics (EOS, 83(51), December 17, 2002)
Reports from our work
- On determining wood thermal diffusivity and probe geometry using in-situ heat response curves from sap flow measurements (Presented by Xingyuan Chen at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2008, San Francisco)
- Estimating the contribution of plant groundwater uptake to total evapotranspiration in a semi-arid oak savanna (Presented by Gretchen Miller at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2008, San Francisco)
- Evaluating the role of flow data on concentration fluctuations through the use of the comparative information yield curves (Presented by Felipe Barros at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2008, San Francisco)
- Modeling land application of food-processing wastewater in the central valley, CA (Presented by Gretchen Miller at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2007, San Francisco)
- A new technique for upscaling sap flow transpiration measurements to stand or landscape scale fluxes (Presented by Gretchen Miller at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2007, San Francisco)
- Modeling plant-scale root zone water dynamics in an oak savanna (Presented by Xingyuan Chen at AGU fall meeting, Dec. 2007, San Francisco)
- On the use of block-effective macrodispersion for numerical simulations of transport in heterogeneous formations (Jan. 2004)
- Field-scale estimation of volumetric water content using ground penetrating radar ground wave techniques (Jan. 2004)
- Review of permeability in buried-valley aquifers: Centimeter to kilometer scales
- Kowalsky, Finsterle and Rubin publish in Proceedings, TOUGH Symposium, 2003
- Water Resources Research accepts a paper by Rubin, Bellin and Lawrence on macrodispersion coefficients for numerical modeling
- William Herkelrath reviews recently-published Hydrogeophysics (May, 2006)
- Hydrogeophysics by Rubin and Hubbard is published by Springer (April 2005)
- Hydrogeophysics to be published by Kluwer in 2004
- EOS publishes Review of Applied Stochastic Hydrogeology (10/28/03)
- Applied Stochastic Hydrogeology published by Oxford University Press in March, 2003 (Errata)
Hydrogeophysics in Vineyards
- Near Surface Water Content Estimation Using GPR Data: Investigations within California Vineyards
- A penetrating result (December 2003)
- Radar in the Vineyard (December 2003)
- Radar für die Reben (Dezember 2003)
- New ground radar for wineries could help produce a more exquisite vino (November 2003)
- Il buon vino? Lo sceglie il radar (9 novembre, 2003)
- Radar y Buen Vino (Octubre 2003)
- Viticultura : Proponen uso del radar para medir la humedad en el viñedo (21 Octubre, 2003)
- Radar and Fine Wine: Innovative research uses radar to map soil moisture, create better wine grapes (UC Press Release, October 16, 2003)
- A High-tech toast to better wines (Berkeley Engineering Lab Notes, October 2003)
- Prof. Rubin's Research Group hard at work in the Mondavi Vineyards
- Modeling of Solute Transport in Porous Media
- Geostatistical Methods for Site Characterization
- Geophysical Imaging for Contaminated Site Characterization
- Breakthroughs in Field-Scale Bacterial Transport
Papers submitted by Prof. Rubin's group to the Berkeley Symposium "Bridging the Gap Between Measurements and Modeling in Heterogeneous Media", Berkeley, March 25-28, 2002
- Effects of fluid distribution and subsurface structural heterogeneity on ground-penetrating radar
- Bayesian Integration of Hydrogeological and Geophysical Data for Site Characterization: Theory and Application to the LLNL Superfund Site
- On the use of the concept of block-scale macrodispersion for numerical simulation of flow and transport in heterogeneous formations
- Characterizing Lithofacies from Geophysical Data Using the Bayesian Model coupled with a Fuzzy Neural Network
- High-Resolution Estimation of Near-Subsurface Water Contentusing Surface GPR Ground Wave Information
- Conditional Moments of the Breakthrough Curves of Kinetically Sorbing Solutes